About the game
Knytt Stories is a 2007 minimalist platformer game from Nicklas "Nifflas" Nygren. Its uniqueness is that additional levels can be installed in the game (which are essentially separate games, but on the KS platform). Themselves as new levels can be easily created by players using the built-in level editor. The game also features good ambient music and convenient controls. Plus, it's free. As a result, the game gained great popularity all over the world, more than 3000 levels were created. And even though software KS is outdated, the game still has loyal fans who continue to play it and create new levels.
Installation the game and levels
How to install the Knytt Stories game and mod
Official links to installation files: Knytt Stories, Knytt Stories Plus, Level Editor Plus.
Or download everything in one archive (contains Knytt Stories 121, Knytt Stories Plus 136 and a program for configuring buttons on a gamepad with profiles for KS and KU). Unpack this archive in the directory where the game will always start from. You can create shortcuts for the game (file "Knytt Stories Plus.exe") and the level editor (file "Level Editor Plus.exe") on the desktop (right-click to drag to the desktop, select "Create shortcut" in the context menu that appears).
How to install a new level in Knytt Stories game
Download the level setup file with ".knytt.bin" permission. In the main menu of the game, go to the "Install Level" section (a screen with a rabbit and a strip will open). LMB drag the level file onto the rabbit game screen. The level will start to load, as the load proceeds, the rabbit will jump to the right, when the load is over, the message "Finished!" and a card with the name of the level. If you need to load another level, you can drag it right after installing the previous one (you do not need to re-enter the installation menu).
Key on the keyboard – Action:
Left – Left.
Right – Right.
Up – Up.
Down – Down / (Action).
A – Walk.
S – Jump.
D – Umbrella.
Q – Item Bar.
W – Hologram.
E – Navigation (KSP).
I – Inventory (KSP).
H – Edge (KSP).
M – Map (KSP).
It is more convenient to play with a gamepad (although in the most difficult tests, apparently on the keyboard, you can achieve greater accuracy of movements).
Note: codes in levels can be written with these numbers, and then in the game you can press the buttons the required number of times.
Level categories (attributes):
- Difficulty: Easy, Normal, Hard, Very Hard, Lunatic.
- Size: Small, Medium, Large.
- Category: Tutorial, Challenge, Puzzle, Maze, Environmental, Playground, Misc.
Abbreviated notation of level attributes (Difficulty / Size / Category): for example N / M / C stands for Normal / Medium / Challenge.
|01||Nifflas||Tutorial||E / S / T||2007.08.27||4.7 / 5|
|02||Nifflas||The Machine||N / L / C||2007.08.27||* * * * *|
|03||Nifflas||Sky Flower||H / S / C||20??.??.??||* * * * *|
|04||Nifflas||Gustav's Daughter||H / M / C||20??.??.??||* * * * *|
|05||Nifflas||An Underwater Adventure||H / M / P-C||20??.??.??||* * * * *|
|06||Ultigonio||Deep Freeze (KS+)||H / L / C-P||2016.10.31||* * * * *|
|07||SecretGlitch||Dark Sea 2||L / L / C||2011.04.22||* * * * *|
|08||Nifforum||For egomassive (KS+)||H / M / C||2013.10.27||* * * * *|
|09||egomassive||Shipwrecked (KS+)||N / M / C||2010.05.05||* * * * *|
|10||egomassive||Through the Swamp||E / S / E||2016.02.13||* * * * *|
|11||egomassive||TToK: Earth Temple (KS+, Beta)||N / S / C||2014.04.11||* * * * *|
|12||PeppyHare4000||Within the Treetops||H-L / M / C||2011.07.09||* * * * *|
|13||Vegetal Gibber||Exploring the Golden Land (KS+)||N / M / E-P||2016.01.27||* * * * *|
|14||Jerom||Marine||H / M / C||2011.02.27||* * * * *|
|15||Sergio Cornaga & Gliperal||An Impeccable Cat Hunt||H / S / P||2018.11.11||* * * * *|
|16||Purple Pineapple||Grey||N / S / P||2010.02.18||* * * * *|
|17||Tayuma||Sky Island (bug)||H / L / C||2011.05.10||4.3 / 5|
List of favorite levels from GrayFace (author of mod KS Ex) – Open.
List of favorite levels from Mitorun (author of this site) – Open.
- When you need to jump onto the ledge that hangs over you, then you need to jump when the knitt is in the middle of the point that makes up the diagonal (45 degrees?) With the point you need to catch on. You need to very accurately and quickly when jumping, first press to the side where the ledge is, and then in the opposite direction to catch on to it.
- When we have an umbrella and a double jump. How to jump from ledge to ledge on the ceiling. Squeeze the jump and sideways towards the ledge, fly to the middle of the ledge or a little further (holding the jump to soar), then simultaneously press the jump and umbrella buttons to remove the umbrella and jump a second time and almost immediately press in the opposite direction + up to catch on to the ledge.
- Longest side jump. We press to the side, run up and jump from the edge of the ledge. At the highest point of the jump, open the umbrella (sideways and the jump is clamped). Having steamed a little (xs how much exactly), simultaneously press the jump and close the umbrella (this is very difficult, you can try it together or on the keyboard) and at the top point again open the umbrella and soar until the end (sideways and the jump is clamped).
- The longest and highest jumps (no umbrella). There is a jump and a doublejump, if you need to jump as far as possible to the side, then you need to jump in this direction, and do doublejumps when you are on the same line (horizontal) with the target point! But if you need to jump as high as possible, then doublejump should be pressed early.
Ideas for improving the game Knytt Stories. Or rather, what a new game Knytt World might look like, which will take all the best from Knytt Stories and make it more modern and of higher quality:
- The game should be able to run in full screen, in a window (real size and x2), on Android and iOS.
- When Juni dies, the transition should be black (or gray). White transition is very annoying as it is now, especially when playing in the dark.
- It is better to make the aspect ratio of the playing space standard for most screens – 16x9.
- Screen map (similar to Knytt Underground). It's good if it will be created automatically. In the map, I would like to see where there are transitions (direct, not hidden), and where there is a dead end. Scroll the entire map. When creating a level, the author can disable the map (enabled by default), but with a cheat code it can still be enabled.
- The ability to easily translate dialogues in levels into different languages. You can make automatic machine translation into the main languages, and add a language selection in the game settings.
- How about integrating gamepad button mapping into the game?
- At the top of the game window, where it says "Knytt Stories Plus 1.2.1" – write the name of the current level and the author.
- In the menu, display if the game has been completed, if the game is started and when the game has never been started. You can add anchors to the levels for the main ending and for all hidden endings (100% completion) – when the player enters this state, the information that he passed it is recorded in the game menu (until the game is deleted).
- Anti-aliasing should not be applied to the game when zooming, the picture should remain pixelated, with clear outlines.
Good manners when creating levels:
- Each one screen of the game should be an interesting complete action, the more cool there is, the better. It is not advisable to lengthen one idea over several screens. For example, it is bad to make complex transitions between screens like in climbing walls.
- There should not be a senseless running around, each screen should carry some kind of thought-goal.
- At the beginning of the game, you cannot make difficult-to-pass places, especially where you can not understand what to do at all. This is annoying and the player will want to delete the level altogether.
- Saving in difficult places shouldn't be too close, the player should try the game. At the same time, it should be interesting to go through these difficult places themselves over and over again, so that sticking to them does not seem like a mockery (?), And the passage of a difficult place arouses pride (delight).
- The BEFORE and AFTER preserves should not be far apart. TO the place – because every time dying during the passage is stupid and annoying to get to this place for a long time. And AFTER – because it is unnerving that the player's success is under threat until he is saved, and saving will be his reward for his efforts.
- Don't make identical screens unnecessarily. For a player with no memory strain, screens should not evoke the sensation of déjà vu unless specifically done, for example.
- It is necessary that the colors do not merge, so that all the elements are pleasant and clearly distinguishable.
- Good-bad level design games: dessgeega – Knytt Syndromes, PsychoCola – Museum of Bad Lvl Design, HeadGrinder – Badly Built Level.
KS Level Archive website ideas
What can be improved on knyttlevels.com or when creating a new site with a library of games for Knytt World:
- Rename the "Age" column to "Date" and indicate there the day the file was loaded in the format YYYY.MM.DD.
- You can remove the "Size" column – it does not carry important information, the file size will almost never affect the decision to download it or not, and "Attribute" will say about the size of the level.
- Design and add a rating system for the levels. You can make a complex rating with several criteria (general, tests, beauty, originality ...).
- Optional screenshots of the game can be added to the game cards (to clearly see what to expect from it).
- Probably it is necessary to make sure that users cannot delete games from the site and change their display, only through an appeal to the administrator.
- Make a selection-recommendation on various topics (for example, for beginners, hard and lunatic for tests, beautiful adventure games ...).
- You can display site statistics: how many levels, how many bytes they occupy, average game size (total bytes / number of levels), number of authors ...
- We need to make a page with site manuals. There, describe all the features and settings of the site, thoughts and ideas. Describe recommendations on how to rate.
- Write articles-texts about the game, the editor, enemies, game techniques, codes ...
This is an experimental page dedicated to the game Knytt Stories. I would like to make a full-fledged site, on a separate domain, which will collect all the interesting information about the Knytt game universe. For this I will need help creating content and editing the English version of the site.
Discussion on the forum. Any ideas, links and content on Knytt games, please send to the contacts on the site.
The rights to the game Knytt Stories, its elements, levels, music, mods belong to their creators. This website does not bring material benefits, it was created for training in the layout of sites, as an example of a page with Knytt Stories levels and to popularize this legendary game from Nicklas Nifflas Nygren.Up